Quick tips to reduce your family's exposure to lead:
- Use cold water for drinking or cooking.
- Never cook or mix infant formula using hot water from the tap.
- Make it a practice to run the water at each tap before use.
- Do not consume water that has sat in your home‛s plumbing for more than six hours.
- First, make sure to run the water until you feel the temperature change before cooking, drinking, or brushing your teeth, unless otherwise instructed by your utility. Some faucet and pitcher filters can remove lead from drinking water.
- If you use a filter, be sure you get one that is certified to remove lead by the NSF International.
HOTLINES & INFORMATION
- EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline: 800-426-4791
- National Lead Information Center: 800-424-LEAD | www.epa.gov/lead
- NSF International: www.nsf.org
- Lead in Drinking Water Web Site: www.epa.gov/safewater/lead